Friday, March 11, 2005

Home on the range

God has blessed me with the greatest family. My wife, man, I just can’t go on enough about her. They boys turned 4 on Wednesday so Donna had a party for them at the park. She got there early to set things up and before she even had the car fully unloaded Joey did a faceplant off the monkey bars and split his chin open. She took him to the hospital and got him sewn up and then went back to the park to clean up the party mess and go home. After hearing about the experience at the hospital I have to believe that I’d have a serious drinking problem if I had to live through that. She didn’t complain though, all in a day’s work for a mom. I can cut open a deer or a wild hog and have my hands inside it up to my elbows with no worries but my kid starts bleeding… yeah, I’m not really good in that. The way she juggles the boys and all the other home business, she's really quite amazing. Oh yeah, and she's HOT.

Most mornings the boys ask me, “Are you going to work today?” and on the weekdays the usual answer is “yes” which is usually followed with a “Whhyyyyyyy?” I tell them that it’s so we can have money to pay for our house, food, toys, etc. A few months ago as I laid in bed early one morning, staring at the ceiling I could hear them stirring in their bedroom. Their little voices were muffled but I could still hear them:
“Yeah, get that.”
“Here’s some more.”
“Yeah, that, too.”
“Is that enough?”
“No, we need more.”
“C’mon, let’s go.”
Then I heard the patter of their little feet as they came into our room and around to my side of the bed. Their jammy shirts had been stretched out to carry all the coins from their piggy banks. “Look, Daddy!” They stood beaming. “We have money so you don’t have to go to work today!” It was the sweetest, most tender thing I’ve ever witnessed and it was all for me. I sometimes wonder if we spoil our kids. Between their grandma, their aunts, and a few others those kids are floating in toys. It’s little events like the one above that make me think that they’re alright. (I’d like to say that I called my office and told them I wouldn't be in that day, but I didn’t. I did come home early, though. I’m not a total heartless bastard.).

This morning we had all just woken up so Donna and I went into the boys room to talk to them. Jack said to me, “Are you going to work today?” I said, “Yeah, buddy, I have to… it’s tax time.” He said sadly but with kind of a hope in his voice “Yeah, but we have enough money.” It’s pretty cool to be loved by your kids like that, even when you make mistakes with them. I suppose 10 years from now they'll remember every screwup I make, but I'm loving it right now.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got put onto your blog from Doug). Great fun. I can so relate to your story and the tenderness of two little boys that just want daddy to be home. I have had to say to them also that daddy works so you can live and many times get perplexed looks and I sometimes find that at the end of the night I have to put a couple bucks in the "future counseling" bottle. But, when I walk in the door at the end of the day and my 4-year old spins around the corner yelling, "DADDYYYYYY!!!!" and jumps into my chest.... ain't nothing like it in the world.

As to your wife, I have a hot one too that does the miraculous everyday.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home