Thursday, June 15, 2006

Insert foreboding music here.

I usually have little trouble falling asleep. On the contrary, it’s usually staying awake that I find difficult. But here I sit at 2:30 a.m. exhausted and yet unable to find any rest. My mind feels like New York City at rush hour.

I worry about the chaos brewing in our church. I’m saddened over the lives that are being crushed, pastors and laypeople who have devoted their lives to serving. And there’s one casualty in particular that I learned of today that especially grieves me, a woman who has dedicated herself to loving the children of that church like her own. And her husband who stands by her side without a single gripe about the incredible workload that she shoulders, often sacrificing their limited family time to carry out her duties.

I worry about my mom, a two-time cancer survivor, who works for what may be the world’s biggest collection of jerkoffs. I worry about the agony they are putting her through and wonder if she will be weakened to the point that she has a relapse.

I worry about my workload – audit deadlines, tax filings, tax planning. Where I will find the time and energy to complete these projects is beyond me.

I worry about my son, who has recently developed a separation anxiety. A little boy who has always had a confidence and boldness that inspires me but now begs me to stay home with him every day. And I wonder if all the above has changed me so much that my son sees me, and is now fretting over me.

Matthew 11:29-30 – “Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Can somebody help me put this yoke on?

2 Comments:

Blogger jason folkerts said...

These things mentioned are hard to deal with - much is out of our control and pushes our faith. I simply cannot imagine how hard it is to have a mom dealing with what your mom has had to go through (twice), and now with your son - how hard that is.
I'm pray'in for ya' and feel with you the passage mentioned. Getting our brain and lives around that is no easy task - yet, it is so critical in understanding how we are to be in our spinning world.

I really like what Rob Bell does with the word "yoke". A yoke in Jesus' time connotated a way of following - to take on someone's yoke, such as the Rabbi's meant to do as the Rabbi did. In other words, Jesus' call to follow and take on a yoke meant to do as he would do - the best of times and the worst of times we are to be as Christ is or as Dallas Willard talks about in Divine Conspiracy, what would our lives be if Christ were us, our situations, our relationships, our work, our being? It's a different take than wwjd - (which is good tho' cliche' at the same time) - by understanding that Jesus wants to come and be me in my life pushes my thinking and faith in new ways. It helps me to grasp the bigger points without negating the simple day to day routines and ways that make a life a life.

1:58 PM  
Blogger N.C. said...

Wow...I can definitely feel you on this one.

If you can't sleep, it's safe to assume neither can I.

Call me and we'll get a shake at Freds.

Praying for you, friend.

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home