Tuesday, August 01, 2006

When preschoolers attack

Our church’s VBS started this past Sunday evening. I’ve never been a really big fan of kids so I decided to leave the heavy lifting to an assortment of good people, sit this one out and have a little “me time” during the week. But as the saying goes, “The best laid plans…” Jack’s separation anxiety chose to rear its ugly head and about half-way through Sunday night’s session I had to sit in his class else he’d go into full meltdown mode. When I arrived at the preschool room there were probably 40 kids and about a dozen workers. I happened to show up at songtime. Music was playing and 35 or so of the kids were singing & gyrating. The rest were in advanced stages of hysteria and general tantrum-like behavior. Some of the adult leaders were enthusiastically leading the kids in song and dance while the others attempted to console the criers. It was, in a word, pandemonium. Just looking through the door I felt my BP tick up about 20 points. My palms got sweaty. I started to get a headache. My stomach gurgled and I felt like I was getting diarrhea. I wanted to yell at everybody to be quiet. If I’d had a noisemaker, I’d have been tempted to fire off a round into the air just to get their attention and tell them to BE QUIET. And yet, all the adults were smiling and energetic and just loving on those kids. I was amazed. By the time the night was over, I felt liked I’d been pulled through a knothole in a wood fence. Here’s an actual photo of me at the end of the evening:On the ride home I found myself just thanking God for such incredible people who are so faithful to His calling. People who don’t make a spectacle of themselves, just show up, serve, and go home without any fanfare. Our Lord must be so pleased.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

2 Comments:

Blogger jason folkerts said...

Ha!
Pure gold my friend, pure gold...
been there and done that many a time.

BTW I miss the Nick Nolte of the past - guy was awesome in 48 hours, remember that one?
Sad to see he is now nuts - that comes from starring in one too many Barbara Streisand films.

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there Hogskin, just 29 days, 20 hours till the thundersticks roar.

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home