Friday, August 04, 2006

A dream fulfilled.

VBS concluded tonight which means all the decorations had to be yanked down. Dean called me earlier in the day to tell me I could serve in a special way. Apparently a bunch of mylar balloons had come loose from their moorings and had floated the 50 or so feet to the top of the sanctuary. There’s no practical way to get them down and since they’re mylar (instead of the traditional rubber balloons) it would take a few months for them to make their descent unassisted. So I was charged with poking a few holes in them with my pellet gun. Hey, if something needs to be shot, I’m your guy. My new ministry, “Shooting things for Jesus.” Marksmen only need apply. I let everybody clear out (except my kids who thought it was the coolest thing ever) and took care of business. My two passions collided, God & guns. It was a blast, but I think I actually overloaded my redneck meter.

1 Comments:

Blogger jason folkerts said...

That would have been a gas!

When I get out there don't let me forget to tell you the story of Dawson McCalister when he was a youth pastor there in the 70's and what he did and how they got what they needed to get down from the sanctuary ceiling, unfortunately you are not the first to pepper the rafters in the name of Jesus. No wonder that ceiling leaks so much.

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home